Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Household Hazards: The Bathroom

Bathrooms contain many hidden and not so hidden hazards to our pets. Medications, soap and other sundries, and open toilet bowl lids can all lead to problems. If accidentally ingested these items can cause serious health problems for your pets. The best way to avoid this is to put medication in tightly sealed containers and to not leave them out within reach of your pets. In general all medications should never be given to your pet unless directed by your veterinarian.

Soaps, toothpaste, and sun blocks should also be kept away from your pets. If ingested they can cause stomach upset, vomiting, or diarrhea. Toilet bowl lids should also be kept closed to prevent your pet from consuming treated toilet bowl water as this could irritate their digestive tract as well.

Lastly, make sure your have a trash can with a secure lid on it. While we may not think much of throwing away old razors, strands of dental floss, or other products we use on a daily basis our pets may find them to be entertaining toys. Needless to say if they happen to swallow any of these items they could inadvertently harm themselves and cost you a lot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment